0 A.D. is a free, real-time strategy game. It is a war/economy strategy game allowing players to recreate or rewrite the ancient history of western civilisations.
While the inspiration for 0 A.D. was the classic game ‘Age of Empires II: Age of Kings’ this game is not bound to ‘standard’ RTS gameplay. There have been added a number of innovations and gameplay tweaks to the genre, while maintaining the depth of strategy and real-time tactical decision-making that real-time strategy gamers want.
The first edition of 0 A.D. allows the player to control any of six ancient civilisations from the pre-common era. Each culture is represented at the peak of its civilisation, somewhere along the timeline of 500 B.C. to 1 B.C. 0 A.D. is based in the period of history that saw the rise of western civilization as we know it, shaped by the domination of the ancient world by Rome. Historical accuracy is of the highest priority, with all weapons, helmets, armor, and shields to be of historical provenance.
- 6 different types of civilisation:
- Carthaginians: will have the strongest navy in the game; the fiercest contendors on the high seas
- Celts: The Britons and Gauls are the antithesis of the rigid organisation of Rome
- Hellenes: Controlling the representatives from the Hellenic region, the player has the power of Sparta, Athens and Macedonia at his command
- Iberians: The Iberians were fathers of the art of guerilla warfare, capable of lightning strikes against an opponent and withdrawing before he can mass an offensive
- Persians: The Persian Empire is the most cosmopolitan civilisation, levying a wide variety of troops from their vassal satrapies. Their infantry are weak and poorly-equipped, little more than cannon fodder, but can be massed in vast numbers
- Romans: The great conquering imperial powerhouse that swept across Europe, the western shores of the Mediterranean and North Africa in its early days as a Republic
- Intelligent, and optimized pathfinding
- Computer controlled AI logic and scripting
- Lots of user interface scripting work
- Provinces and Territories
|O A.D requires OpenGL 1.3 with 3D hardware accelerated drivers and at least 128 MB memory, e.g., Radeon 9000, GeForce 3, or similar.
Developer: Wildfire Games
License: GNU GPL v2 (game engine), CC BY-SA (game art)