Black Box – Find the Hidden Balls – Puzzle Game
In this puzzle game, a number of balls are hidden in a rectangular arena. You have to deduce the positions of the balls by firing lasers positioned at the edges of the arena and observing how their beams are deflected.
Beams will travel straight from their origin until they hit the opposite side of the arena (at which point they emerge), unless affected by balls in one of the following ways:
- A beam that hits a ball head-on is absorbed and will never re-emerge. This includes beams that meet a ball on the first rank of the arena.
- A beam with a ball in its front-left square and no ball ahead of it gets deflected 90 degrees to the right.
- A beam with a ball in its front-right square and no ball ahead of it gets similarly deflected to the left.
- A beam that would re-emerge from its entry location is considered to be ‘reflected’.
- A beam which would get deflected before entering the arena by a ball to the front-left or front-right of its entry point is also considered to be ‘reflected’.
Types of games available:
- 5×5 with 3 balls
- 8×8 with 5 balls
- 8×8 with 3-6 balls
- 10×10 with 5 balls
- 10×10 with 4-10 balls
- Custom, choose the width, height and number of balls
Below is a short tutorial showing you how to download and compile the latest source code for this game, and the other 38 games in the puzzle collection. The tutorial takes place in Linux, using the Ubuntu 17.10 distribution, but the procedure will be the same, or very similar, for other Linux distributions. If you find the tutorial helpful, please give the video a like and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
|Besides the main 3 operating system, the puzzle collection has also been ported by contributors to Palm, Android, Symbian 60, iPhone, iPad, and the Windows Store.
Developer: Simon Tatham, Richard Boulton, James Harvey, Mike Pinna, Jonas Kölker, Dariusz Olszewski, Michael Schierl, Lambros Lambrou, Bernd Schmidt, Steffen Bauer, Lennard Sprong, and Rogier Goossens