Hedgewars is a Worms-like turn based strategy game where the real buzz is from watching the devastation caused by pesky hedgehogs with awesome weapons – sneaky little blighters with a bad attitude!
Each player controls a team of several hedgehogs. During the course of the game, players take turns with one of their hedgehogs. They then use whatever tools and weapons are available to attack and kill the opponents’ hedgehogs, thereby winning the game. Hedgehogs may move around the terrain in a variety of ways, normally by walking and jumping but also by using particular tools such as the “Rope” or “Parachute”, to move to otherwise inaccessible areas. Each turn is time-limited to ensure that players do not hold up the game with excessive thinking or moving.
A large variety of tools and weapons are available for players during the game. Most weapons, when used, cause explosions that deform the terrain, removing circular chunks.
The landscape is an island floating on a body of water, or a restricted cave with water at the bottom. A hedgehog dies when it enters the water (either by falling off the island, or through a hole in the bottom of it), it is thrown off either side of the arena or when its health is reduced, typically from contact with explosions, to zero (the damage dealt to the attacked hedgehog or hedgehogs after a player’s or CPU turn is shown only when all movement on the battlefield has ceased).
- Combat for up to 8 players
- Infinite number of randomly generated maps with 37 environments, or choose from 44 set image maps, or draw your own
- Huge battles with up to 48 hedgehogs
- Two single player campaigns with a total of 24 missions
- 25 single missions for learning the game, target practice, challenges and just for fun
- Large array of weapons: Grenade, Cluster Bomb, Bazooka, UFO, Shotgun, Desert Eagle, Fire Punch, Baseball Bat, Dynamite, Mine, Rope, Pneumatic pick, Parachute, Air Attack, Mine Strike, Blow Torch, Girder, Teleport, etc
- Land generator with many templates and themes
- Network game
- Demo support
- Save support
- Clans support
- Quite aggressive bots
- Customize your team, with over 280 hats/costumes, 32 graves, 13 forts, 100s of flags and 13 unique voice packs
- Highly customizable with 25 different game modifiers
|There is also a port for FreeBSD. There is an extended API in Lua to customize your adventures.
Developer: Andrey Korotaev and others
License: GNU GPL v2 (source code). Images and sounds GNU Free Documentation Licence version 1.2