OpenRA is an open-source implementation of the Red Alert engine using .NET/mono and OpenGL. It supports early Westwood games like Command & Conquer and Command & Conquer: Red Alert.
The game was designed with modifiability in mind, but it is not identical to the original.
- Add new units, maps and tilesets even create your own mod
- Built-in mods:
- Reimagining of Command & Conquer: Red Alert. It is not just a clone of the original but has improved and rebalanced gameplay. It focuses on strategy, providing a range of units and tactics to conquer the land, sea, and air
- Reimagining of the original Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn game – an alliance of nations fights to protect Europe and northern Africa from a mysterious terrorist organization and the valuable but toxic alien mineral, Tiberium, that is slowly spreading over the world
- Reimagining of Dune 2000 – focuses on providing an experience that is authentic to the original game
- A choice between “right click” and classic “left click” control schemes
- Overhauled sidebar interfaces for managing production
- Support for game replays and an observer interface designed for streaming games online
- The “fog of war” that obscures the battlefield outside your units’ line of sight
- Civilian structures that can be captured for strategic advantage
- Units gain experience as they fight and improve when they earn new ranks
|The developers also support FreeBSD.
They have a built the OpenRA engine which provides a common platform for rebuilding and reimagining classic 2D and 2.5D RTS games
Developer: The OpenRA Developers
License: GNU GPL v3
Written in: C#