StepMania is a rhythm video game.
It was originally developed as a simulator of Konami’s popular arcade game series Dance Dance Revolution, and has since evolved into an extensible rhythm game engine capable of supporting a wide variety of rhythm-based game types.
The player presses different buttons in time to the music and to note patterns that scroll across the screen.
- Custom Songs (“Stepfiles”): StepMania allows users to create their own custom dance patterns to their favorite songs. The program includes a Step editor to aid the creation of the stepfiles
- Background animations: Support for many types of animations behind the arrows onscreen, including sprite-based animation sequences, a single full-motion video or multiple FMV visualization overlays
- Modifiers: Visual mods that affect the scroll of arrows and either increase or decrease difficulty. StepMania includes multiple modifiers featured in Dance Dance Revolution as well as dozens of additional modifiers created exclusively for StepMania.
- Multiple arrow types:
- Multiple game types, including partial simulation of other dance games like Pump It Up, ParaParaParadise and EZ2Dancer
- Real-time lyrics, which display on the opposite side of the screen for stepfiles that have accompanying lyric data
- Custom themes: users can create their own skins for Stepmania
- Dancing characters: 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional character models that dance in the background according to a pre-defined routine
- Network play: support for lobby-based online play, dubbed StepMania Online
- Typically, users connect through the StepMania Online centralized server
|StepMania is designed to run on arcade cabinets. Several video game series, including In the Groove and Pump It Up Pro use StepMania as their game engine.
Developer: StepMania development team
Written in: C++