netPanzer – Online multiplayer tactical warfare game
This is an isometric view real-time multiplayer tactical game designed for play across the Internet and over LAN systems. One on one games are also possible via direct connect or modem.
netPanzer is designed for fast action combat – it is not another resource management clone. In fact, there aren’t any resources at all. Each player has many units of different types at their disposal. Players can fight until their units are destroyed — then respawn and keep on going.
The game is real-time, but it’s based on quick tactical action and unit management. Battles progress quickly and constantly; in fact, they never let up. There is no stop in the action because there is no waiting for resources to be collected and converted into weaponry. Players can join or leave multiplayer games at any time.
netPanzer was originally developed by PysoSoft Inc. They stopped development on the game in 1999, but released it under a freely distributable license in 2002. A group of coders subsequently ported the game to Linux.
netPanzer provides a bot player for times when you don’t have a human opponent. You can start netPanzer in a special mode where it connects to a server and simulates a real player.
- Real-time action without the need to gather resources
- Manually aim your units fire while they are moving to another location
- Maps range in size from 10×13 to 64×85 640×480 size screens
- Three modes of multiplayer combat; objective capture, frag limit, and time limit
- Change screen resolutions on the fly to 640×480, 800×600 or 1024×768
- A customizable interface layout
- MiniMap for quick viewing of the world
- Special Effects:
- Particle system explosions, muzzle shots, missile trails, etc
- Dynamic, real-time lighting
- Translucent particles and shadows
- Scalable client/server network architecture
- Support from 1 to 100 players over the Internet or on LAN systems depending on the network connection type and game configuration
- Players are able to join or leave multiplayer games at any time
|netPanzer is a game designed to fit into the real-time tactical game genre. It's art is based on realistic environments and vehicles. Battle will heat up as players challenge for territory, and without the need for resource management battles will emerge swiftly. The game is also available for the Amiga.
License: GNU GPL v2